I’m starting to wonder what an Intranet is for really. I read many articles about what it is supposed to be and do but, in the end, it seems that it is whatever who admin/s it decide/s what it is for, its scope and how it is supposed to be managed.
A recent exchange with admins of an intranet I was interested in adding modules in led to some surreal statements and quite a dramatic change in my notions in this regard.
I understood that:
- It’s not a portal whereas at the same time it’s made for communication.
- The number of people allowed to publish and edit is limited “but just send us your material and we’ll be happy to publish it for you” after some screening I am guessing.
- It is bound to whatever the communication department tells what to put on. In order words it’s communication department’s tool not the company’s nor its employees’.
Truth be told the whole picture is not as dark as I am painting it here but in the end, all I’m left with … nothing, no intranet for our little team and not much options to work things out.
A page could eventually be added there but that’ll be about all and from there, possibly a rerouting to another plateform .
2 questions came to mind following this exchange:
- What is the added value of multiplying places where to retrieve information when opening up could have easily solved my problem (in addition to bringing some life to an intranet who nobody visits nor cares about) ?
- Who, in the end, decides what such tools are made for and who can have the upper hand on them? Being in charge does not imply blocking all others and preventing them to take part, benefit as well as share. All departments are meant to work for the good of all others, right?
But maybe I was unfortunate and happened to deal with persons who did not fully understand the whole picture and are yet to realize how sterile working their way is.